Cloud Migration Assessment with CloudPhysics
The Four-step structured Cloud Migration Methodology provides a defined and repeatable path for organizations to follow when migrating and modernizing Virtual Machines.
Assess the current environment to gain a solid understanding of existing resources and define migration groups.
Plan how to move the apps and create the basic cloud infrastructure for workloads. This planning stage includes identity management, organization and project structure, networking. Sorting the apps and developing a prioritized migration strategy.
Execute the migration
Optimize your newly migrated workloads to realize the true cost benefits and operational efficiencies that public cloud can bring to your enterprise.
Objectives: Assessment and Discovery
Deliverables: Assessment Reports
Assessment Tool: https://www.cloudphysics.com/
CloudPhysics: is a SaaS tool that empowers organizations and partners to collaborate on strategies for cloud migration by establishing immediate visibility into current infrastructure, understanding the complete telemetry, and simulating recommendations between AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.
Getting started with CloudPhysics
Create a free account or login if you already have an account: https://app.cloudphysics.com/
Once you login, create a customer and connect to your VMware to get the analyzed view of your environment (https://www.cloudphysics.com/installing-cloudphysics/) refer to this link to deploy a CloudPhysics Observer.
Assessment is divided into
1. Intel Assessment
2. Infrastructure Planning
3. Cloud Simulators (Cost Estimations)
4. Performance Troubleshooting
5. Storage Space Management
6. Health Checks
As per the assessment, with CloudPhysics you get a cost comparison (on-prem vs AWS, Azure and GCP)
Generate assessment reports with CloudPhysics and correlate the business drivers, costs, environment, licensing, etc for your migration project.
The Most Important Assessment Reports
1. vCenter Summary Report - This report provides the complete summary of the vCenter running on-prem, no. of clusters, datastores, hosts - clustered and standalone, total memory/CPU, and no. of virtual machines.
2. Guest OS Analysis - This report provides the Guest OS layout running on the VMware environment. This report will be further used in the planning stage to calculate the licensing requirements.
3. Rightsizing Report - This report provides a detailed overview of oversized VM's and downsized VM's. This helps the cloud migration team to assess the rightsizes of vCPU and memory when it comes to cloud.
Additional Assessment Reports that can be handy for the entire Assessment - Guest OS Tools, Health Checks, Network Reports, Application Discovery, Network Mapping, Uptime Benchmarking and Dependency maps.
In summary, CloudPhysics can easily integrate with your on-prem VMware virtualization systems and automate cloud migration assessment phase. The assessment reports consist of high-value results and address all the core considerations for cloud migration.